The 2nd Thursday meeting of each month is competition night. Members can submit digital images or prints to be judged in competition. Each month has a special subject (see list on the right). Guidelines, Overview, and Photo Submissions are covered on their individual pages accessed by the drop-down menu above.
Notes on the Special Topics for September, October, and November
Below are some general guidelines to keep in mind when selecting and preparing photos to be judged:
- Horizon lines, real or perceived, should generally be on the third and level.
- Use of selective depth of field can be effective, but the subject must be sharp!
- Learn to vignette, dodge and burn.
- Subject should be either in or out. Avoid tangency…Or, Fill the frame
- Surround your subject with estuaries.
- Moving subjects, or those capable of moving, need space to go forward
- Check your background first!
- Simplify!!! Eliminate extraneous or distracting Elements.
- Stick with proven compositional rules. Should be a conscience reason to break
- Don’t create amputees by cutting the limbs of people at the joints
- Leading lines should lead to the subject, not out of the image.
- There should be a specific point of interest(s).
- Multiple points of interest shouldn’t compete.
- Centered of interest should not be centered unless there is a very good reason for doing so.
- Avoid unnecessary negative space.
- Over frame for better crop opportunities.
- Some folks just have a “good eye”, but the Elements of good composition can be learned by and improve almost everyone!
- Use care with filters and extreme effects. Is it a cover-up or truly new art? i.e. If a painting. effect is used, how would the image be judged if it were not a photo.
- Learn how to effectively eliminate distracting Elements with cloning, layering, etc.
- No blown highlights or lack of shadow detail.
- Learn to how to dodge, burn and manipulate light.
VIEW MONTHLY TOP PICKS
“Top Picks” photos are chosen each month from those images submitted. To see current month’s top picks, select it from the drop down menu under competition.
For past top picks, select a year and month from the Competition drop-down menu above. There is one page for each month’s winners.
To see an enlargement of any image just click on it. To reduce the enlargement, just click on the image again.